Sunday, May 17, 2009

How I Became the Crazy Dog Lady




I know this question has been haunting everyone....right?


I really hadn't wanted any pets for a while. In fact, my mother had abandoned a precious, tiny Maltese with me & I let my friend Pat have her. I just wasn't ready for more responsibility & a pet deposit.


A couple of years later, I was feeling the baby fever......totally inexplicable really....my youngest child was in junior high & who in their right mind would want more after experiencing junior high as a parent? Remember Pat (she figures prominently in this tale)??? Her son & his girlfriend had a puppy given to them & being in a 3rd floor apartment was not conducive to potty training. They brought over this adorable little black & white puppy (Toy Fox Terrier). She was just precious! They thought she could possibly be deaf but I didn't care. This was the baby I wanted! Turns out she was deaf so me changing her name from Maddie to Bella made no difference to her. This also means since she can't hear....she barks a lot! She also doesn't whine....she screams! We've worked through vet visits, pet deposits, walking in the rain & of course, potty training (turns out the be the best potty trained dog I have). She is now going on 6 years old & I am still crazy about the one that started it all!


Almost exactly a year later after much turmoil in my life with kids & ex moving in & out & moving to a 1 bedroom apartment with just me & Bella....I felt the need to share my love some more. The kids didn't want to live with me....that's OK....I'm getting another dog!


My friend Pat & I went to some shelters & believe it or not did not come home with a dog. We finally went to the Humane Society to check things out. We looked at the few small dogs they had & I got 1 scrawny brown dog out of her cage. Pat assumed it was like before & said to come on. Then I said "I love her!" Turns out Sophie is 1 year younger than Bella. I took her home & my mom came over & I convinced her to drive me, Bella & Sophie over to pick up K2 from his dad's. Sophie cried almost the whole way. She still gets a little nervous in the car. Sophie has turned out to be the sweetest dog ever! Everyone (including dogs) LOVES her! I'm not sure what kind of dog she is....could be dachshund & whippet???


So far it's still understandable why I have these 2 dogs...right???


More to come on the other 3 but the Survivor finale is on & it's time to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment